Skip to content

Main Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can I get emails from the university on my gmail or other account that I access more often than my umail account?
A: The university is required to correspond with students using the umail accounts. If not checked frequently, you may miss crucial individual information such as scholarship offers or notifications from the Graduation or Financial Aid Offices. Change your umail account settings to forward to your gmail or another more frequently used account using these instructions.

Q: How long has the program been around, and how many students are majoring in Health, Society and Policy?
A: The Health, Society & Policy program, formerly Behavioral Science and Health, was initiated in 1977. Over 2200 students have graduated in the program since that time. There are currently about 250 students majoring in Health, Society & Policy.

Q: Am I going to earn a B.A. or a B.S. with this major?
You can earn either a Bachelors of Science degree (B.S.) or a Bachelor of Arts (B.A. degree) in the Health, Society and Policy major. For the B.S. degree students must fulfill the requirements of the HSP major; for the B.A. degree students must fulfill the HSP requirements plus four semesters of a foreign language.

Q: Will the class I took at "x" transfer institution fulfill the Health, Society & Policy requirement? For example, I took Bioethics at Weber State; will that count for Bioethics at the U?
A: Usually. If the class was given at an accredited institution and had the same title, content, and credit hours you may petition for potential tranfer subsitition approval from the HSP director. First meet with the program advisor who can give you more information. 

Q: Will MATH 1040 or 1070 count for the statistics requirement for the major?
A: No.

Q: Where do I apply for graduation?
A: First meet with the advisor who will review your progress. Then log into CIS and click on "apply for graduation--undergraduate" in the Graduation Tab. There will be a $25.00 fee if you apply after the semester deadline.

Q: If I'm not graduating spring semester can I still walk in the graduation ceremonies? Do I need to get permission?
A: If you finish your requirements spring or summer semester, you can walk in May. If you finish in fall semester, you will wait until the following May to walk. All you need to do is order your cap and gown through the bookstore before the end of March (contact the bookstore for exact dates and times to order cap and gown). Then show up graduation day! Get the complete details.

Q: When is a good time to come by the advising office? 
A: HSP advising is by appointment. Schedule an appointment.

Q: Can I get advising over the phone?
A: You can for quick questions, though email is recommended. Lengthier phone advising requires students to submit a FERPA release form. Log into CIS and click on "FERPA Consent to Release Form" in the Student Records section and create a PIN. Before an advising call, the advisor will request your PIN. Whenever possible, meeting in person is best. You will retain more information and there is less likelihood of misunderstanding. 

Q: What job opportunities are available for Health, Society & Policy graduates?
A: A wide range of options are available. Many Health, Society & Policy graduates go on to graduate programs in medicine, hospital administration, public health, business, law, etc. Our graduates get jobs working for insurance companies, health maintenance organizations, hospitals, government agencies, and in private industry in health, safety, and wellness programs. Salaries vary with employer, location, course work, and related experience. This major provides students with a broad range of skills and information related to health that can be applied in a variety of areas. It does not, however, prepare students to immediately enter one specific career.

Q: My degree audit shows that I still need to fulfill the QA General Education requirement. It has been a while since I took any math courses, what is the best way to go forward?
A: Each student must pass at least MATH 1030 to fulfill the QA general education requirement. Math 1030 has a prerequisite of AP credit or a C or better in MATH 980 or MATH 1010. If you have AP math credit, the scores expire after two years. If you have taken MATH 980 or MATH 1010, the course does not expire on your transcripts, but it can be very difficult to remember the course content as years go by. If you still need the QA requirement, contact the HSP advisor about making a plan.

Last Updated: 1/28/20